The Calvary Baptist Church has been a beacon of faith, hope, love, and learning since 1921, when the church was planted from within the Leadenhall Baptist Church. Calvary served spiritual needs and reached out to the community of Baltimore and the state of Maryland. Calvary’s influence has reached throughout the nation and around the world.The trusteeship of the church was vested in the Maryland Baptist Union who suggested that the church move.
Original plans for the church property in a selected area were abandoned when racism and bigotry plagued the congregation. Services were held at other locations until a premise was secured at 562 West Biddle St. When the Great Depression came, Calvary relied heavily on her stalwart members for financial support. The church had intended to remain at the original location to serve the particular needs of the inner city, but due to the city’s redevelopment plan, Calvary was forced to seek a new location.
In 1968, Calvary purchased its present location at 3911 Garrison Boulevard, and the first service was held on April 14, 1968. The facility has undergone major renovations including a remodeled sanctuary, offices, kitchen, and dining hall, heating and air conditioning systems to name a few. We have also installed a state-of-the-art sound and media system, along with sanctuary projectors and screens.
Since its origin, Calvary has been blessed with the initiation of many ministries: Vacation Bible School, music ministry, ministries for seniors, couples, men, women, youth and young adults, children, monthly prayer breakfasts, Christian Board of Education, a licensed daycare facility, drama, pre-membership care, and bereavement and grief. As a proponent of evangelism through community care, Calvary partners with outside agencies to conduct community-wide giveaways that provide back-to-school supplies, clothes, food and the like for hundreds of families.
Calvary has been blessed throughout the years with men who have been called and ordained by God to shepherd the faithful flock. Each has had a major impact on the development of the church.
Pastor Richard T. Reed (1921 – 1946)
Pastor A. P. Townsend (1947 – 1958)
Pastor Lorenzo Graves, Jr. (1958 – 1987)
Pastor Dr. Haywood A. Robinson, III (1988 – 2004)
Pastor Dr. Stephen J. Russell, Jr. (2006 – Present)
In 2020, Calvary implemented a new strategy to ensure our ministry continues to reach future generations. Our purpose is to redeem the world, build healthy relationships and provide relevant ministry. We live out this purpose through six Strategic Directives:
- Enhance Member Engagement
- Create & Revitalize Ministries
- Improve Education & Training
- Improve Communication & Innovation
- Establish Effective Operations
- Establish a Strong Financial Foundation